The goal was to encourage legislators to get on board for The Kinship Caregiver Support Act (S. 661 and H.R. 2188). This act would help relatives in many ways:
- those with children in foster care to be able to care for them permanently. Federal funds would also help relative guardians receive similar assistance,
- require states to notify relatives when children have been removed from the parents,
- provide for flexible licensing standards for relative foster care,
- establish The Kinship Navigator Program in each state to help link relative caregivers to resources and services for children,
- assist relative care for older youth who exit foster care to receive education and training vouchers for college and other independent living services.
There are currently 29 sponsors in the Senate and 59 in the House of Representatives. To find out more about S.661 and H.R. 2188 and where your representatives stand contact Generations United www.gu.org or your legislative representative.
There will be many blogs coming up on the big trip for me including a review of an exceptional kinship program in central Florida called Kids Central Inc. Keep checking the blog.